Thursday, December 11, 2008

Winter's Rain

Today a steady winter's rain has enveloped my world. While a dreary day may bring dread to some, I am so thankful, for it was not many months ago that we prayed for even a little rain to relieve the unending, nearly unbearable heat and the poor ground which portrayed its lack of moisture and nourishment with its cracked and dusty patches. Today, I'm reminded of Longfellow's poem The Rainy Day, and while I can't boast of a dark and dreary life (thank goodness), I do love the images of the winter's wind blowing at the remaining leaves.

Today I would love to curl up with a good book, snuggle into my big cozy chair and read the day away. Somehow, Sewanee and my work here just won't cooperate with that longing, but there's always this evening...




The day is cold, and dark, and dreary
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
The vine still clings to the mouldering wall,
But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
And the day is dark and dreary.


My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
My thoughts still cling to the mouldering Past,
But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast,
And the days are dark and dreary.


Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.

~~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~~

Top photo courtesy of flickr.com
Bottom photo courtesy of Bill Deneau, photographer

1 comment:

Selia's Art said...

Dear Paula,
I love that poem! Today is a good day to curl up with a book by the fire, but I too can't have that luxury until maybe later tonight. (the in-laws are in town);o) You write beautifully!
Blessings,
Selia