Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Card Scrooge...I mean...Christmas Card FRUGAL

I LOVE getting Christmas cards in the mail. I love those that my friends do with pictures of their children. And I love those I get with the one, two or three sheet summary of people's accomplishments over the year (although Michael thinks these are a bit too much and braggy...but I think they're great). I love seeing the handmade cards that some of my friends do because they're so crafty and talented. I really long to send out cards like those. Really I do. But this year has been rough. My craft supplies are crammed into the back of our storage room (along with my art canvases, paints, sewing machine, and anything else that would assist in my creative pursuits), and I'm too tired to dig them out. In fact, I've not even gone to buy Christmas cards this year, unless you count the box of 30 that I found unopened at an indoor yard sale. Michael and I have discovered that we have between us about a million Christmas cards left over from our single years when we didn't send out the entire box. "What if we send these out this year?" I asked, pulling them out of the secretary by the handfuls. "Okay with me," he said. Which, translated, means...since you're the one doing them, do what you want. So, this year we're having a true "Green" Christmas. We're recycling. We're saving money. I'm a little proud that we're being so frugal and thoughtful of our planet (smirk here). And I may even type a three page letter to go with them...on recycled typing paper, of course.

6 comments:

The Robb said...

Paula, cool blog.

You are funny and clever and green (I'll see your smirk and raise you one.)

Merry Christmas,

RL

Anonymous said...

I also decided to clear out the previous years leftovers for this year's Christmas cards. Looks like quite the potpouri on my dining room table, but each family only receives one, so I guess that doesn't really matter. I also took a stack of cards to a local nursing home for the residents to send out. I figured that most of them probably don't need a whole box full anyway. They were thrilled to get them!

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, whichever you prefer! ;-) Pam

Selia's Art said...

Dear Paula,

I think I will do that too this year! I know I have hundreds of leftovers...that's bad. Love your blog!

Blessings,
Selia

Janet said...

Nothing wrong with using up leftovers. It saves you money, gives you more storage space, and who's going to know? And just so you're prepared, we haven't actually taken the cute picture of kids yet, so don't feel left out if you don't get a card until New Year's. Or say, Valentine's Day. Because everyone else will be getting theirs then as well (we have approximately 200 to send out).

FL Cousin said...

I will enjoy your environmentally conscious cards. I am the one who puts pics. of my kids in the cards. I'm too much of a slacker to be able to report any great accomplishments this year. Tell Michael not to expect any 3 page Rubiano letters. HA
FL Cousin (Mel)

Anonymous said...

The site looks wondeful! I love that you are using all your unused cards, actually. After I sent that mass email requesting for everyone's addresses, I decided I would be sending e-cards this year! I usually have so many to send and this year, with all the re-connections I have made, I would be sending out a fortune in cards and stamps so... I figure I would get a membership with an ecard site and that way I would have it year round as well!