Friday, February 19, 2010

Old-Fashioned Screen Doors


Recently, my dog destroyed our screen door. I admit, I wasn't sad...or even mad at her. I hate our screen door! We inherited it with our house, and it is the standard, cheap metal with plexiglass door that one sees everywhere. Needless to say, it does not look as though it belongs on our circa 1869 house. I love those old-fashioned, squeek-when-you-open, slam-shut-with-a-spring kind of doors...those with the little curly-cues in the corners are my favorite. So I searched the internet to find one that I like, and I admit I like many! But they are so expensive to order over the internet. The shipping alone will break my budget! So, I am on the hunt for a local woodworker/master carpenter to make me a door. It has to be 85 inches tall by 40 inches wide...that's one BIG door! And, most importantly, it has to stand up to Molly the Mutt and our two cats, Isabella and Hermione, who love to hang by their toes from the screen. Below are a few that I have fallen in love with. Which do you like?


Look at the cute puppy on this one! I adore this!
This photo is from orvis.com.



Doesn't this look so homey and inviting?! Found this photo on thisoldhouse.com

These from Glyndon Carpentry are magnificent! Oh, how I wish I had a double-wide door! :-)

Okay, granted this is not a door to outside...but to a pantry! Isn't it WONDERFUL?!?! This came from the Sugar Pie Farmhouse...whose site you MUST visit!! This makes me want to take down my own pantry door and put up a cute screen door. Look at the embellishments in the corners and the chalkboard paint! What an adorable idea!

I love the cozy look of this porch!!


I found this one on the blog Anderson Daily Photo. This is a great blog. Anderson is a town in South Carolina, and the owner of the blog posts a photo each day taken in the city. Such a great idea! Anyway, isn't this a cute little entry to this cottage?

Here's another screen door used as a pantry door in a cute kitchen. I love the design of this one and its blue color! I think I need to paint mine another color besides white. I found this great picture on the AtticMag website. I love this website that has house tours and historic homes and designer rooms. You should really go for a visit!

...and this little cutie all painted in red I saw featured over at Twice Remembered who borrowed it from CountryLiving.Com.

There are so many designs and styles to choose from. As soon as I have it finished and installed, I will share it here with you. I definitely have a tough decision to make!

6 comments:

Teresa aka Tess said...

I love that double door screen too. And the Sugar Pie Farm House pantry screen door is so cute. What a great idea. Now I want a new back door screen. My front is metal but has the twisty filigree and is so pretty. The back is just palin ugly beat up old wood door. as you put it, I hate it.

Deborah said...

That's the problem with the internet...too many ideas!!! I like the outdoor screen with the dog cut out. Elegant, yet warm and inviting. Wishing you a lovely weekend. **blows kisses** Deb

Decor To Adore said...

I have been dreaming about switching my ho hum pantry door to a screen door. I love all of your choices.

Flor Larios Art said...

Beautiful doors. I love antique doors. I am originally from Nicaragua and there is a book about old doors from there. Just beautiful!

Karen said...

I would have a hard time choosing. I love them all! The decorative corners are so charming.

Milliscent Morgan said...

Love this kind of worth it blog because for me this is a well written kind of info that readers must know it.-pantry doors-