Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Laundry Room Remodel REVISITED


It's been a couple of months since we finished our laundry room remodel after the disastrous water leak flooded it and two other areas (not to mention running down our dining room walls). We've had ample opportunity to use it and figure out what we like, what we need to rearrange, and what we don't need. I've made a few adjustments, but I still haven't hung those darn curtains or painted the back door! It's been too cold to drag out the paint, and I've rather enjoyed the light in the room from not having curtains up. I've decided that whatever I do put on the windows need to be light and airy to allow in as much natural light as possible. Anyway, here are the latest pictures of the room. I do need help with a couple of things, so I hope those who read this will offer some advice!  To see photos of the room before we moved in the stuff, click HERE.

Some of the collection of old blocks I have. If you look closely, you can see the puppy teeth marks where Molly took a special liking to the letter "S."
My antique wash board, rug beater, my old Raggedy Ann doll, and our inherited collection of marbles in the old Ball jar.
A look from near the doorway. Help me! How can I hide the cord to the clock?!
My little yellow wooden rabbit I bought for a dollar at a yard sale. I just fell in love with him! Right beside my bouquet of buttons in their thread spool "vase."
My dancing frog lamp, bird house, and garden teapot.One of my favorite things: my Burpee Seed clock. It actually reveals the time to plant your seeds!A closeup of an old reproduction tin.A cross stitch made by a dear friend and one of my favorite birdhouses.
Another view of my collectibles.

Out the window...what type of curtains should I hang?
A couple of old pieces of needlework & cross stitch that I've found over the years. I haven't figured out where to hang the little cross stitch piece. For now, it just sits among some of my clutter.A closer view of my cross stitch piece. I'm not sure the age. Found it in the back of an old second hand store in Eastern Kentucky.
My collection of buttons.
An old painted picnic basket and another Raggedy Ann doll sit on top of my cabinets.

7 comments:

Karen said...

I don't know if I have any suggestions to offer, but I have sure come away with lots of ideas for my laundry room! I have a few old timey collectibles on a shelf in there -- wash board, old soda bottle with the sprinkle top -- and I'm thinking what a great idea to put my Raggedy Ann in there and a favorite needlework picture that I can't seem to find a place for. Thank you!

As for the curtains -- I'm with you, I would do something very sheer or even just a valance, if privacy isn't an issue

Laume said...

What a pretty airy place to do laundry. Love your seed clock! I also collect old blocks, many have seen heavy play, and I use them to make little signs around my house, usually changing them with the season. To hide the clock cord, how about finding a small framed piece or maybe one of those fun metal signs and lean it against the wall directly on the counter - the cord behind it? A pretty bushy plant would do the trick too - real or easy care silk.

Aini said...

oh paula! those are beautifuuuul

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Wow...what a great laundry room! Love the "seed" clock...how cute is that! :-) You could sew a sleeve out of a fun fabric to slide over the clock cord. They also sell them at Hobby Lobby, premade. Plantation shutters might look great in your windows or just a simple valance would work...depending on if privacy is an issue. If you do a valance, perhaps you could find some cordinating fabric for the cord cover. :-) This is a great room though, as is! Susan
P.S. Congrats on your award!

Jann said...

Lovely . . . and I LOVE your Burpee clock--where did you buy it? Smiles, Jann

Janet said...

That's the loveliest laundry room I've ever seen. As to hiding the cord, you could paint it the same color as the walls. I thought of the cloth casing, but with my luck I'd end up with a fire. It's a wonderful clock.
As to curtains, most of my small windows have simple lace valances which I bought in Germany by the yard and cut to fit. (The big windows have nothing. We get very little sun and I need as much light as I can get.)

Selia's Art said...

Dear Paula,

I love your laundry room. The clock is great! I love all of your treasures that you have in there! I would definitely go with valances! Thank you for sharing!
Blessings,
Selia