Friday, January 2, 2009

Gathering Rosebuds...


Today, as a new year begins, I am reminded of an old poem by Robert Herrick:

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying..."
I can't believe 2009 is here already. It seems like just yesterday we were welcoming the new millennium, and nearly a decade has passed since! Time really does fly!

That is why I have made a promise to myself: to enjoy every moment, find pleasures in the simplest of things, and cherish the simple act of living. I have always been aware of finding joy in the simple things, and today I recommit to that idea. I simply love the idea of going through life gathering "rosebuds," those moments that are to be cherished always. I don't want to become so busy in my every day life that I forget to look for pleasure in the small and simple things. I also want to recommit to making time for the things I love the most but sometimes take a "backseat" when the hustle and bustle of life gets a bit hectic: my painting, my crafts, journaling and quite time for prayer and meditation. Those things help me center, and they're important.

May the Lord bless you greatly in 2009, and may you make the time for those things that mean the most to you. May you enjoy "gathering your own rosebuds."
Happy New Year,
Top Photo: John William Waterhouse, 1909

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the painting Rosseti?

Paula said...

Actually, it's John William Waterhouse. Forgot to label it, but now it's done. Thanks!

Lorie said...

Thank you for sharing the poem. I hope you have a great 2009, every little moment of it!

Selia's Art said...

Paula,

Such beautiful thoughts and so well put. Thank you for sharing! I love the poem and the painting.

Blessings,
Selia