Sunday, August 2, 2009

Summer Rain


How beautiful is the rain!
After the dust and heat,
In the broad and fiery street,
In the narrow lane,
How beautiful is the rain!


How it clatters along the roofs,
Like the tramp of hoofs
How it gushes and struggles out
From the throat of the overflowing spout!


Across the window-pane
It pours and pours;
And swift and wide,
With a muddy tide,
Like a river down the gutter roars
The rain, the welcome rain!


From Rain in Summer
By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow



After what seems like months without rainfall, we were finally blessed last week with bucket loads. It was like seeing an old friend who had been out of town for far too long! I was so happy to see it, that I could have gone outside and danced in it. But Dear Husband says we're grown-up now, and I'm not supposed to do things like that anymore (next rain, I've promised myself a few barefoot wades through the yard puddles). This rain has been such a blessing, and the grass is finally green again, and the flowers are thankful, as am I.

Photo courtesy of
Photo Bucket

5 comments:

The Victorian Parlor said...

I love the sound of rain on the roof while rocking in a rocker on the front porch. I am glad that you are getting some much needed rain. We have been getting showers in the afternoons which are welcome too. BTW, we are never too old to splash barefoot through the puddles:)! Go for it!

Blessings,

Kim

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

We have had the rainiest July since sometime in the 1800's. Seriously..it is a record! Glad you got yours finally!

Mrs. E said...

I just LOVE rain too! :)
Thank you for sharing that
beautiful poem!!!

With Much Love~ Miss Jen

Janet said...

Michael is very wrong (in spite of being a cutie). Rain is most definitely for dancing in! Although if I'd known you needed some, I'd have sent you ours. We've had quite enough, thank you.

Selia's Art said...

Dear Paula,
I have so missed you too and your beautiful words and blog. We have been so busy this summer (renovating and house hunting) and I can't wait to get caught up with you and your charming blog!
I love the rain also and a good summer storm. Thank you for sharing the lovely poem.
Blessings,
Selia